Saturday, July 20, 2013

Autism Answer: Growing-up takes Forever!

I'm excited, nervous and totally weird-ed out!!

I'm going away for the weekend to see my good friend--well, if she was such a good friend she wouldn't have moved to Colorado and left me behind, we'll have to talk about that! tee hee!--all by myself. No kids. Just me and a borrowed backpack.

My hubby has been planning home repair projects and lawn mowing parties for him and the boys while I'm away. He's preparing himself for the avalanche of imaginative and random questions he's guaranteed to enjoy from Shay, and talking himself into trying out at least one video game with Declyn.

We've never done this before. Me leaving for no reason other than to have fun with a friend, while he stays home to hang out with our young men. And, crazier still, two of our boys aren't even here for kicking-back-with-dad fun and frivolity, having already moved to another state--chasing their dreams, learning life lessons and hanging with my mom and autistic brother in California.

We're all growing up!!!!

My husband is sixty-two years old, and this morning I listened to him lay out his plans for this weekends adventures with excitement and wonder. As my forty-three year old step-daughter woke up (she slept on our couch because she couldn't pay her electric bill) and joined in the festivities, I felt a calm happiness that comes from knowing that we are always and forever learning, growing and trying new things. No rush.

So, I'm going to go hang out with my friend, drink too much coffee and eat too many cookies. As usual I'm sure we'll stay up all night solving the problems of the world, only to wake up the next day excited to do it again.

Because growing-up isn't something you're ever finished doing. We all do it in our own way and at our own pace. What matters most, I think, is that we do it with intention, curiosity and fun!!

Hugs, smiles and love!!!!

Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

*Authors note: I wrote this post a few months ago. The trip was fantastic! My boys and their dad had a blast!!



My friend and I in Colorado.
Do we look grown-up?