Saturday, February 22, 2014

Autism Answer: Privacy Is Boring. My Way Is Perfect... For Me!!

I've always noticed a real disconnect between me and many others regarding the issue of privacy. I truly have no interest in it. I don't at all even quite understand the desire for privacy. 

It's not something I see as wrong for wanting, I just don't understand. If anything, I've been know to wonder if there is something wrong with me because of my serious distaste for privacy. Goodness knows my husband wouldn't mind if I discovered a desire for it!

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the judgements, accusations, and even sometimes concrete consequences of living life loud and openly. But I've also never known a private person who doesn't deal with these same issues. So, again, privacy doesn't feel important, or at all desirable, to me.

Anyway, recently I had a thought. Perhaps growing up in my loud, strange, autistic, colorful, and very different family--one that invited constant stares from strangers pretending not to stare, and opinions from people pretending it means they care--is why privacy is just something I never knew. And rather than choose to wish for something I don't have, it's my habit to enjoy and even take advantage of what I do have. So, like so many things I've wondered about myself, I find an answer and I like it!

I also realized that holding back aspects of my life often means holding back on possible learning's. For me and for others. I appreciate that this isn't true for everyone, but it is certainly true for me! Again, I find an answer about myself and I like it!


Finding these answers doesn't make me a different person, but it does make me more comfortable with who I am. And the practice of searching for my personal reasons keeps me in check, and reminds me that we ALL have equally personal, and equally valid, reasons. 

It also means I'm happy to keep sharing anything and everything about myself with you. Sorry about that!!!!
tee hee!




Hugs, smiles, and love!!
Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton