Sunday, July 27, 2014

Autism Answer: A Movie with Uncle Milton

"My husband has never ever in all of his sixty two years been outside of Texas. He's also never spent more than one night away from home. 
Tomorrow we are taking a drive to California, staying there for five days, and then driving home. He's nervous, then excited, then nervous again. But he's going to do it.
It's never too late to try new things, or to believe in a person's ability to handle--and hopefully enjoy!--them.
My hubby is going to feel so fabulous about himself when we get home!!!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!"
That was the post on my Facebook Page, about a week ago. 


My husband and my nieces, hanging out and watching a movie,
in California!

When we first got to California one of my four year old nieces couldn't stop looking at my husband. She'd only met him once before as an infant and his very dark skin, different look, and unfamiliar ways were interesting to her. Though she was playing happily with me her eyes were consistently looking toward her Uncle Milton. 

Finally, she just said it. "I can't stop looking!"

We all had a laugh and chatted a bit about how different he is from the rest of us. Then, we played some more--and she was much less distracted. Sometimes, you just have to talk about it. Comfortably and with no judgement.

My other four year old niece didn't seem to find her Uncle Milton overly interesting, though she too saw his differences. She played with me distraction free. She then tolerated the conversation we were having with her sister while waiting patiently to show off her impressive throwing and catching skills some more.

It's okay that some of us stand out as odd or different in certain situations. It's okay to want to talk about it. And it's a wonderful way to take advantage of honest curiosity while cultivating a joy and interest in difference, rather than fear or judgements.

It's also okay if we don't find it distracting or overly interesting. Don't stop everything to explain a difference or strangeness if it isn't needing attention. We can accidentally turn a comfortable visit into a confusing one that way! While also running the risk of teaching our children to focus on difference as an issue needing to be explained.


Acceptance doesn't mean not seeing difference, it means knowing that everyone is equally valuable while seeing it! 

By the end of our visit, once my hubby and my nieces had gotten to know each other and explored common interests, they enjoyed sitting around watching The Avengers while chatting about The Hulk and his green skin!

Without question, my husband had a fantastic first trip outside of Texas and enjoyed a few much deserved days surrounded by adorableness and fun!!!!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!

Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)


My hubby and I with three of our four boys.
Random Complaint: I was so busy having fun I forgot
to take a picture of everyone.
Guess we'll have to go back!!
Awesome!