Saturday, April 1, 2017

Autism Answer: Playing My Role This Autism Awareness Month

Happy April, friends!!

Tonight is my youngest son's junior prom, tomorrow is my mom's 60th birthday and world autism awareness day, and this entire month is all about bringing answers, ideas, insights, and experiences from the world of autism to the larger public. 

My youngest son didn't make eye contact for years, struggled seriously with sensory issues, and still works hard to handle his social strangenesses and misunderstandings. 

My mom spent her childhood seeing sound as color, perseverating over fairness and prejudice, and then adopted several youngsters with similar issues as her own, knowing they could help each other heal. (And they did!)

Both my youngest son and my mom now reach out consistently and creatively to people who are misunderstood, alone, or otherwise hurting from an unbalanced brain.

My mom writes and performs songs that are addictive and lyrically inspiring, she writes articles and books that bring science and personal narrative together in poetic and clever ways, she speaks on stages for audiences that can't help but stand on their feet with emotion, she puts all of her resources and love and knowledge into her international docu-series FIX IT IN FIVE with THE BRAIN BROAD (on The Autism Channel) and she works intimately with families in homes around the world. This, my friends, is only a partial list of the actions she takes to reach out with guidance and understanding.

My son looks up to my mom in beautiful ways and plans one day to join her as a leader, speaker, and performer with a message. 

I don't have any of the skills, history, or insights that those two have but I value, learn from, and honor theirs. 

My work then, every April, is to introduce you to the wonderful life-changing work they do.

So now, I have the pleasure of introducing you to my mom: international autism and mental health expert, gorgeous grandma, and mom extraordinaire! 

Lynette Louise site: www.LynetteLouise.com / Brain & Autism site: www.BrainBody.net

*Truly, an action-oriented way you, your friends, educators, news organizations, and neighbors can take advantage of Autism Awareness Month and my mom would be to rent or purchase one or two seasons (Uganda, USA, respectively) of FIX IT IN FIVE with THE BRAIN BROAD via Vimeo On Demand. Also, it would be the greatest 60th birthday gift you could possibly give my mom!*


SNEAK PEEK OF THIS EVENING: A photo of my son dressed in his prom tux!  





Happy April, friends!! 
I hope you find a similarly fulfilling and fun role to play this Autism Awareness Month!! 

Hugs, smiles, and love!!

Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)