Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Autism Answer: There are no silly questions or interests!

When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time wanting to be pretty, wondering if I was pretty, hoping I was pretty, wishing I was pretty. I would compare myself to the other little girls, stare at pictures of Brooke Shields and wish I looked like her, etc. One day I asked my mom,"Who's the prettiest girl in the world?"

She told me that there was no such thing. She said that everyone is beautiful and that taste and timing is what makes one person see another as good looking for them. I was floored! That meant I WAS beautiful!! Right then and there my obsession and worry disappeared. I still wondered and wished, but not with the same concern. Eventually, the truth of my mom's words became such a part of me that I completely stopped wondering at all!

This memory reminds me to respect questions and interests no matter how silly they may seem to me. And let me tell you, my brothers and kids can come up with some offbeat and odd seeming questions and interests indeed! But because of this memory--where my mom took my silly question seriously, answered honestly and changed my world for the better!--I try to keep in mind that one answer or question at the right time with the right attitude just might change their lives!! And regardless, at least the overall understanding is that they are always respected! Win/Win

Happy Wednesday friends!! You are all gorgeous!!!

Now, I'm off to the bathroom to pluck my beautiful goat hairs! tee hee!

Hugs, smiles and love!!