Sunday, October 20, 2013

Autism Answer: Trust Instincts, not Assumptions.

I'm a true believer in trusting your instincts. 

Warning bells usually ring for a very real reason!

But most of our thoughts on what that reason is are rarely to be trusted!! The real, true one, is usually in there somewhere, surrounded by others that are born out of blame, guilt, worry, worry about worrying, concern that you're too easily concerned, other peoples opinions and judgments, our own justifications and surface wants... etc.

So I always trust my instincts, and then take a minute (sometimes a few days!) to sift through the thoughts--either alone or with someone I truly trust to help guide me to my own answer, not theirs. 

Eventually I always discover the reason for the warning bells. Sometimes the reason is pretty obvious. But often it's quite surprising and personal!!

Regardless, I'm left with the job of figuring out how to solve the real problem, rather than a million other made up ones that end up causing their own real problems because of my rush and assumptions!

Be proactive! Be busy! But remember that taking time to think deep and connect with yourself is an important part of advocating and problem solving effectively.

The clarity you're usually left with also makes coming up with solutions easier and almost fun!!!

Hugs, smiles and love!!!
Autism Answers