Sunday, June 28, 2015

Autism Answer: Labels and Love #LoveWins

I'd like to share two short stories with you, friends!

Two short stories about my seventeen year old son. Two memories where we discuss labels and love. Two moments where it was clearly demonstrated that as we grow up and discover who and what we are, labels can be fun, but Love Wins.

Story One: 

My son took a deep breath and nervously told his friends he was gay. When he told me about it I was proud of him but also confused about something.

"Why didn't you tell us first?" I wondered.

"Oh, mom," he laughed, "I don't have to come out to you guys! You love me no matter what. It's not something I felt like I'd have to sit you down and tell you. I knew my friends would have to process it, and that some of them wouldn't be okay with it. I never worry about that with my family!"

Well. Huh. That's a pretty awesome reason!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!

#LoveWins

Story Two:

My seventeen year old son asked me yesterday, "Hey, mom. What are we in this family? Democrats or Republicans?"

I answered with ease, "Well, you're a man so who you are is up to you. You don't have to choose based on our family. Anyway, in this family we don't pick a label. We talk about issues and decide what our beliefs are without checking in to see what "Democrats" or "Republicans" or "Libertarians" or "Independents" would tell us it should be. Does that make sense?"

My son poked my cheek and responded, "You're adorable. I just want to know if we agree with Jon Stewart most of the time."


I laughed and gave him a hug. "Again," I said between giggles, "It's completely up to you to decide if you agree with him. But I definitely think he's funny!"

We chatted a little more about labels, and (of course) ventured a bit into the myths and beliefs on autism. We talked about the spectrum of sexuality, pointing out labels and examining assumptions. 

We didn't agree on everything. 
But because love is more important than labels, we sure had fun!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!
Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

Labels can be fun but, always, Love Wins!