Monday, August 25, 2014

Autism Answer: Peer Pressure~ Guest Post by Shay Shelton

NOTE: My son, Shay, wrote this piece two years ago. Today was the first day back to school and my youngest son, Declyn, told me outright,"I've decided to become a bully stopper this year. I've already heard people talk bad about this new kid, just because he dresses and talks different. Well, I'm going to peer pressure them to be thoughtful!" It reminded me of this homework assignment Shay had in eighth grade. Peer pressure is powerful indeed, and both of my youngest sons seem to understand that quite clearly! 



Peer Pressure
By: Shay Shelton
People often wonder;
Even when they're old.
Everywhere they go,
Reality may unfold .

Perhaps they will not like me?
Remember what they said?
Even if I don’t like it,
Suppose I try instead.
Suppose I stop and say no?
Under their sharp gaze,
Real friends would appreciate me,

Even through these rough days.


As our kids go back to school, let's remember the real issue of peer pressure. Let's remind them to be authentic even under "their sharp gaze" knowing that true friends (and they themselves can take time to learn this wonderful skill!) will generally appreciate them. 

And as my darling Declyn suggests, perhaps they can even take advantage of peer pressure now and then to peer pressure their friends to be friendly!!! 

Hugs, smiles, and love!!
Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

*****************************************************************

This was an eighth grade homework assignment for Shay, and now it's a guest post... my boys are learning that when they put their heart into something it's never just "school stuff"!!