Monday, March 3, 2014

Autism Answer: Discussing and Accepting~It Starts At Home

ME: Treat the world the way you want to be treated. 

ONE OF MY SONS: Treat the world the way it treats you.

MY HUSBAND: Keep a watchful eye on the world, it's often trying to take advantage.

************************

In my home, there are quite a few different underlying beliefs regarding how we engage with the world. It makes for some heated and passionate discussions indeed!!

We want to prove ourselves right. We point to proof, while another loved one points to their own contradicting proof. We explain, make up analogies, weave beautiful similes and metaphors... often to be met with equally beautiful similes or metaphors that illustrate a different view.

Sometimes we want to prove ourselves right with something close to desperation! I may want my husband to parent more like me--because our children's futures are being shaped. My son may want me to see his point of view as the right way to be, because he wants me to be proud of him when I would rather teach a new reaction to stimulus.

But underneath everything, deep down where our truth lives and grows, we respect a world of difference and believe in the possibility of living peacefully within it--at least, that's what I'm trying to make my family believe in! tee hee! We respect each other and learn from each other and find new ways to express ourselves and our expectations and our hopes.

Always, we are gifted with the ability to see such differing views as valuable. We accept the personal nature of beliefs, and open our eyes to a world that should be encouraged to discover their own ideas and truths.

************************
MY FAMILY: Treat the world the way you feel good treating the world so that you continue to grow into a comfortable and pro-active you. And allow the world to (mostly) do the same.

Hugs, smiles, and love!!
Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton