Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Autism Answer: A Series of Choices


MY SON: My thoughts are confusing me today. I don't know how to feel about them. It's a little bit sad I think. 

ME: (busy working and only half listening) Hmmmmm.... how do you feel about that?

MY SON: Seriously? I just told you I don't know how I feel. 

ME: Hmmmm... I see. Have you brushed your teeth today?

MY SON: Seriously?

My son leaves the room and I make a mental note to listen better. You know, after I'm finished with the work I'm working on. Then a moment later my son returns wearing shoes.

MY SON: I think I'll go see if dad needs some help outside. 

ME: (turning away from my computer so I'll actually be present) That's a good idea. You're such a nice guy! And smart too!

MY SON: Not really. I just want to do something to forget about my thoughts being confusing. 

ME: Ya, I know. And you chose going outside to offer your dad a helping hand. You chose doing something useful and physical. That's nice and smart! Don't devalue your choices just because you felt compelled to make them. Those are still nice and smart choices that you chose to make!

MY SON: (smiling and opening the door, speaking up over the sound of my husband's outside tools) You're weird mom! I love you! 

I watched him head out the door and turned back to my computer. I almost felt bad for having been distracted when he first came to talk to me. But then I realized that had I not been distracted he may not have chosen to step outside and help his dad. So, I chose not to feel bad!

Huh! Neat!

"Life is a series of choices." Lynette Louise aka The Brain Broad

Smart woman!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!

Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

My son working outside with his dad. Good choice!