Thursday, April 27, 2017

Autism Answer: Finally! We're Boring!

Me and my brother: The oldest of eight and the youngest of eight. Bookends!

When I first started my Facebook Page (which became this blog) about four years ago, I got tons and tons and tons of comments from followers about how my youngest brother was such an inspiration.

In those days, he was doing well but still truly struggling. So many of my stories were about giving him those extra pushes and being there when he needed a moment to breathe. I shared with readers the things my mom was doing, the things I was doing, and the work my brother was putting into his own life and independence, rather consistently. Almost once a week.

But lately, the last year or so, he's just a guy living his life and we hang out sometimes. Sure, I'm his big sister so I also give him those extra pushes and create an environment where he can comfortably breathe when he needs a break, but I rarely tell you about it anymore.

It just seems less like a "story" you need to know about. 

It seems less like our moments are fragile and hugely important, and more like they're necessary for the function of loving life, just like in every other family or team or group of friends.

It's not as though my brother doesn't amaze and teach and learn with me anymore. It just seems like less of a big deal. Like less of a thing I need to tell you.

And we're okay with that.

Happy birthday to my baby brother, Rye!!! I hope we continue to grow and learn and love and laugh and impress each other in these boring, simple ways!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!
Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook) 

Our birthday plans for tonight! Hanging out in the backyard!

_________________________________________

If reading some of those stories from our days of learning together might interest or (dare I hope?) help you, I invite you to check out my book Spinning in Circles and Learning from Myself: A Collection of Stories that Slowly Grow Up. It truly is as it sounds. A collection of mostly true stories I've written over the years about growing up in my unique family and then raising one of my own. Happy reading, friends!!