Saturday, September 24, 2022

Autism Answer: Without Wings (Short Story)

 


It was all inside. The nourishment, the entertainment, the company. The sharing of ideas, the music that swayed and swelled and invigorated those ideas, the others with their news and affections. It was all inside today.
 
Platforms rested at open WIWS (Walk In, Wing Span) windows while individuals, groups, families flew up, landed, went inside. Simply went inside. 
 
Wanting to go inside, to have what was inside, I wandered around, looking for the special entrance made for me. For others like me. While looking for my entrance, I couldn't help but also look for someone similar to me; another someone needing the special entrance. I looked partly to remind myself that I was not alone, and partly to follow them in as I couldn't seem to find the entrance myself. 
 
I wasn't in a hurry. I'd gotten here early knowing that sometimes getting inside takes me a little longer than the others and I did not want to feel anxious about time. Plus, I have to pay attention to the places I put my feet in order to stay safe, and I like having time to stop and look up at the world. So I am here early. As are those I see entering welcoming WIWS windows now.
 
Often our special entrances would be signed clearly, often not, but usually there is at least one for buildings such as this, and I really wanted to be part of what was inside, so I kept looking. The ground is not easy to traverse because, well, most others simply fly over the rough stuff. So it isn't cared for in the way it could be. Admittedly, there are a lot of people like me, but many of us don't often find the desire for what's inside and up high worth the work of getting to it.
 
Today, I do. But as others fly up to the busy perches, move swiftly into the open windows, the sound of chatter and music raining lightly down on me, I see they are mostly too busy or rushed to notice me, to offer assistance. They aren't cruel; they are simply on their way somewhere and focused. I don't want to interrupt their flow so I continue climbing over obstacles and seeking a sign for my entrance. I don't ask for help up.
 
I have still not seen another like me today, and can't help but wonder if I am being too insistent on taking part of what is inside. I mean, after all, once I do find the entrance and make my way to the gathering of wonderful things up high, will it really be so wonderful? I'll be tired, they'll be busy, I'll have to find my way back down. But, I remind myself, by then I will know where my special entrance is at least. 
 
And this cumbersome ground is simply that. Cumbersome. Challenging. Not impossible. I can do it, I have done it, I will do it.
 
Today, I want what is inside. Today, I want access to wonderful companionship, nourishment, ideas. 
 
Someone smiles at me as they fly by, nodding and moving swiftly upward. I think I see them point in the direction I'm walking... 
 
Oh, I see it! Barely fifty feet away, beyond a noticeable crack in the ground I know I can make my way across. The crack is not too large, but it is large enough that I see it before tripping into it. It is simply a hop for me when I get there. I see the sign "Without Wings" above a lovely little door leading inside. 
 
I know today will be worth it. I will open the door, which should be unlocked, and head up the stairs, which I know will be in okay condition - the laws insist they be safe enough - and though I'll be tired by the time I reach the floors above where everyone is gathering for today's meeting - an important meeting meant to discuss and decide important things - the ideas, nourishment, and music should help perk me up rather quickly. Once inside I know I will require a modicum of assistance, some help having access to things available on higher perches and platforms. Places like this are designed by those with wings so why would they not incorporate all that space up high? For people like me, though, they will kindly help. In fact, in most instances, they will like to help. In general, we all like an element of helping. 
 
I, unlike the majority, am without wings, and I am here. I intend to add my ideas to the others. To let my ideas fly, without wings but amongst them. 
 
Today, for me, it is worth it. I feel certain of it.