Friday, June 6, 2014

Autism Answer: I Ate The Last Hot Dog

I grabbed a package of hot dogs for supper last night. We're kinda low of funds till payday so I can't quite pull off anything healthier than that, but my boys were thrilled! They love when I can't pull off healthy!

Anyway, I didn't want to eat any supper because my boys are growing and I'm not. I chose to finish off a container of almonds. Declyn, however, insisted I have a hot dog. 

"No thanks, hun. I don't really like them." I insisted.

He was trying to be sly and asking me things like,"But when you do eat them you like mustard, right? But not really much ketchup, right? I mean... when you do eat them, I'm not talking about today."

We were sitting in the dark watching a movie, so it was easy for me to hide my knowing smile. And of course he did eventually hand me one of his hot dogs and claimed,"I made it exactly how you like it. So now, you have to eat it! Anyway, I'm full!"

This is my family. Always seeing the bigger picture in small moments. 

Today he doesn't remember the taste or feel of the hot dogs he did or didn't have, he remembers the feeling of caring and sharing with me. 

Sometimes accepting your son's last hot dog is the kindest thing you can do!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!

Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

Declyn and Shay
roasting hot dogs.