Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Autism Answer: Free (A Five Sentence Story)

A Story In Five Sentences: 

Free

I chatted quietly and sweetly in the back of the police cruiser, smiling and giggling and apologizing and nervously covering up my deep fear, taking action by putting my sweetness and youth on display.

I’d never been arrested before and I never imagined that I could be; I was a sweet girl who was afraid of authority so I rarely broke rules, other than ones of necessity.

By the time I was locked up with the others I had reassured myself that I didn’t belong, that I could at least enjoy a night with a roof over my head until this mess was cleaned up and my obvious goodness was clear and understood. Avoiding eye contact with the large black woman pooping on the toilet four feet from my mismatched sneakers I promised myself that I would be extra good and do exactly what I was told.

Then I would be free.
_____________________

I wrote that five sentence story (which may or may not be almost autobiographical) last year in response to Chuck Wendig's Flash Fiction Challenge at the time. Which was simply to write a story in five sentences.

This macro-story blossomed into a short story that I wrote a few months later. The main character, Apple, is a socially challenged and easily confused homeless girl who lives under a tree. I adore her! 

However, my short story HOMELESS is still, well, homeless. I've submitted it a couple of times to publications that seem like a possible fit, but short stories aren't easy to find a home for. At least, not when they want to get paid for their time. That's been my experience, anyway. 

So, for now, it's going to continue to live a life of unlimited possibilities; not promised to anyone or expected anywhere at a certain time but ready to tell its story when the Universe (or an interested publisher with payment) finds an audience in want of it. 

Selfishly, I'm not in any hurry. I love Apple. I love the tree she lives under. I love the relationship she has with her friend Mike. I don't mind keeping them to myself for now. 

Particularly because I know that one day she'll look down at her mismatched shoes and they'll make her feel fancy. She'll look at me and I'll know that she didn't get all dressed up for nothing and she has places to go, and I'll be happy for her. I guess I'm not selfish so much as aware. Aware that being ready for an adventure doesn't mean we have to force one on ourselves, or on our loved ones. 

But we should be willing to take advantage when the time is right. 

So Apple is ready, and I'm ready, and one day soon the time will be right. 

In the meantime, I was able to share a snippet of who she is and how she thinks here with you now. 

And in only five sentences! 
What a clever, crafty writer I am! tee hee!


Hugs, smiles, and love!!
Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

 
I think I found Apple's tree.