Thursday, November 7, 2013

Autism Answer: Goals & Dreams: Decide What To Do With Them!

Our Goals and Dreams aren't going anywhere so we might as well figure out what we want to do with them!

When I was a little girl I wanted to grow-up and write books. I also wanted my very autistic brother to stop picking up my things and tossing them around the house. 

Interestingly, I have handled these goals--or dreams--in many different ways over the years. Sometimes I believed in them, sometimes I was afraid of them, often they made me feel annoyed or inferior, at times I enjoyed trying to reach them while other times I enjoyed complaining about the things getting in my way while trying to reach them.

What I noticed is that no matter how I treat these dreams, they are still there. And only when I'm actively trying to reach them do I feel really intentional and happy. And even more awesome, when I'm actively going after them I'm actually getting closer to reaching them!! 

 
Not long ago my brother tossed one of my receipts onto the floor and three wonderful things happened. 1) When I asked him to pick it up and put it back he did so with ease. 2) I noticed that he doesn't toss my stuff around much anymore! 3) The moment felt very much like any other sibling "hey, can you please not do that" moment.

And guess what else?? The book I'm currently writing is called Hands Up and the outline is pretty darn good!

Having goals and dreams for ourselves and our loved ones is important and wonderful. It's also important and wonderful to be intentional when choosing them, and to be willing to allow for shifting and changing.


Just don't forget to decide what you want to do with them!! And I suggest making a choice that encourages happiness and action!

Hugs, smiles and love!!!!
Autism Answers


My Bowling Brother:
He can sit and dream about knocking down the pins,
be afraid that he won't knock down the pins,
think about the ladies watching him try to knock down the pins,
or enjoy the game while learning how to knock down the pins.
The choice is his!