Sunday, June 2, 2013

Autism Answer: Acceptance is Attractive!

A man walked up to me in the grocery store.

"M'am", he said,"you are a very pretty lady."

"Well, thank-you very much!" I exclaimed, making comfortable eye contact and smiling brightly.

After the gentleman walked away my youngest son asked me, "Why do people always say that to you?"

Choosing to teach, rather than to be offended by his utter confusion regarding my possibly prettiness, I explained,"Because I'm happy and open to conversation. When people are comfortable being themselves, they don't waste time worrying about how they seem. Instead they're excited and curious about other people. And, well, they look pretty. Or, in your case, happy and handsome!"

I noticed that my son smiled kindly at passing strangers and walked beside me with a comfortable confidence to the checkout! 

Teaching an open nature and comfortable confidence will do lots of awesome good for autism acceptance! Which, let's remember, is really about acceptance in general. AND...people will call you pretty! tee hee!!

Hugs, smiles and love!!