Thursday, June 27, 2013

Autism Answer: Sibling Coffee & Conversation Success!

My youngest brother called asking if he could store an extra mattress here at our mom's house (where I stay) because there was no room for it in his apartment. I said no problem, and heard him coming up the driveway about an hour later. 

After putting the mattress away he asked if he could please clean something for me, because he wanted to show his appreciation. Again, I said no problem!! Or, maybe I sang it! tee hee!

Soon after, we sat for coffee and conversation. He said to me,"You know what I used to think? That other people were more successful than me because they were born with normal brains and have nicer cars and better jobs. But after what you told me, I know that's not true."

"What did I tell you?" I asked, knowing the millions of things my mom and I have told him over the years to help him see success differently, and wondering how he had finally understood it.

"You know, that us brothers have worked really hard and have come really far, and that we have been able to help other people by sharing our story. And about how success is working hard and being happy, not having a good car or a normal brain."

Not to shabby! "Well said," I admitted,"there's nothing wrong with going after money, smarts and cars that don't break down--they make life easier. But they aren't proof of success. Seeing your value and being willing to share your skills with others, being happy and working hard--what mom helped you guys learn to do so well!--is your proof of success."

We were happy and quiet for a minute. Then I couldn't help but add,"Of course, I sure am going to keep going after the stuff that makes it easy! I want to be able to travel and see everybody in the family without worrying about how to afford it!"

We raised our cups of coffee and agreed, successfully, on that point!

Hugs, smiles, and love!!!

Autism Answers with Tsara Shelton (Facebook)

Me and Rye